Pete Evans and Dr. Mercola recently joined forces and created a new cookbook, “Fat for Fuel Ketogenic Cookbook.” In this book you’ll discover easy and delicious recipes, along with practical tips on how to follow a ketogenic eating plan. CLICK HERE to order your copy now.
Hearty Chicken and Vegetable Soup Recipe
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 40 minutes Difficulty: Easy Course: Breakfast/entrée/main
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, duck fat, tallow, or other good quality cooking fat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, halved lengthwise and cut into ½ inch thick slices
- 1 zucchini, diced into 2 cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely grated
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 200 g (7 oz.) silverbeet, shredded
- 1 bay leaf
- 300 g (10½ oz.) pumpkin, peeled and diced into 2 cm cubes
- 1.7 L (57½ fl oz. / 7 cups) chicken stock, plus extra if needed
- 450 g (1 lb) shredded cooked chicken
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cultured vegetables or krauts of your choice, to serve
Serving Size: 6
- Place a large soup pot over medium heat and coat the base with the oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned. Pour in the chicken stock and bring the liquid to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the ginger, zucchini, and pumpkin and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes or until tender. Gently add the chicken and silverbeet and continue to simmer for another few minutes or until the silverbeet has cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving. Serve with a spoonful of cultured vegetables on the side.
- Place the chopped cauliflower florets into a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower has reduced into tiny pieces – the same size as grains of rice (or chop by hand with a sharp knife).
- In a frying pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat and lightly cook the cauliflower for about 4 to 6 minutes, or until softened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve it where you would normally have rice - so much healthier for you, and what I love is that it takes a quarter of the time to cook!
- You can add garlic, chilies, other spices, seeds, nuts, herbs, meats, seafoods, vegetables, sauces, etc.
About Pete Evans
Pete Evans is an internationally renowned chef who has joined forces with Dr. Mercola to create a healthy cookbook that’s loaded with delicious, unique Keto recipes, ideal for people who want to switch to a ketogenic diet. The “Fat for Fuel Ketogenic Cookbook” is the perfect tool to help get you started on your ketogenic journey. CLICK HERE to order your copy now.
Pete has had numerous noteworthy contributions to the culinary world. He has not only cooked for the general public, but he’s also cooked a royal banquet for the Prince and Princess of Denmark, a private dinner for Martha Stewart, and even represented his hometown at the gala GʼDay USA dinner for 600 in New York City.
Pete’s career has moved from the kitchen into the lounge room with many TV appearances including Lifestyle channel’s “Home” show, “Postcards from Home,” “FISH,” “My Kitchen Rules” and “A Moveable Feast.”