If you’re in a pinch, this delicious and healthy recipe, submitted by Susan Luschas, Ph.D., can be made quickly. What I love about this snack is that it combines one of the best fermented foods available, raw sauerkraut, with avocado.
Avocados are a personal favorite of mine, and I eat one almost every day for their many health benefits. Meanwhile, sauerkraut (I recommend making your own) will provide you with beneficial bacteria.
Try this nutritious recipe the next time you need a quick snack. Even picky kids have been turned on to eating fermented foods, thanks to this simple and delightful treat.
Avocado Sauerkraut Recipe
Serving Size: 1
- Slice the avocado in half and take the pit out.
- Fill the pit holes with about ¼ cup of raw fermented sauerkraut each. The amount of sauerkraut you need depends on the size of your avocado.
- Spoon a bit of the sauerkraut juice over the exposed sides of the avocado to keep them from turning brown. This step is unnecessary if you’re going to eat it immediately.
- Add some Dr. Mercola’s Himalayan salt and black pepper to suit your taste.
A Quick and Delicious Snack That Can Help Improve Your Health
Raw sauerkraut is affordable and it offers a lot of health benefits as well. For instance, it provides you with beneficial bacteria to help optimize your gut health. Here are other benefits of eating raw sauerkraut:
- Offers anti-cancer properties. Raw sauerkraut contains high levels of glucosinolates, which may reduce DNA damage and cell mutation during carcinogenesis (the formation of cancer).1
- Rich in vitamin C. One serving of raw sauerkraut will provide you with 35 percent of the average recommended intake of vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps with white blood cell production and promotes cellular repair and regeneration.
- Helps maintain optimal eye health. Raw sauerkraut is rich in vitamin A to help reduce your risk for cataracts and macular degeneration.2
- Supports bone health. A single serving contains 23 percent of your recommended daily allowance (RDA) of vitamin K, which helps release proteins that regulate bone mineralization.
- Fights inflammation. This “superfood” offers anti-inflammatory properties thanks to its phytonutrient antioxidants, thus, it can help reduce joint and muscle pain.
On top of these health benefits from raw sauerkraut, avocados also have a lot to offer. They are one of the healthiest fruits around due to their low fructose content, so they won’t cause a spike in your blood sugar levels. I recommend eating avocados regularly because they:
- Are packed with nutrients. According to Authority Nutrition, avocados contain vitamins C, K, B9, B5, B6 and E, providing a significant amount of your RDA.3
- Help maintain normal cholesterol levels. Avocados are rich in beta-sitosterol, a beneficial plant-derived fat that decreases the amount of cholesterol absorbed by your body from food. They are rich in monounsaturated fats as well, which may raise your “good” cholesterol while lowering your “bad” cholesterol.4
- Assist in regulating blood pressure. Most people aren’t aware that avocados contain more potassium than bananas. Some studies have shown that potassium plays an important role in reducing blood pressure, a major risk factor for kidney failure, heart attacks and strokes.5
- Improve digestion. They are rich in fiber that can help prevent constipation and maintain digestive tract health. Sufficient fiber intake promotes regular bowel movements, a crucial part of the body’s natural detoxification process.6
About the Author:
Susan Luschas, Ph.D., is an MIT-trained scientist and engineer. She was forced to apply her critical thinking skills to debug her own family's health problems. She has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars and years of her life on doctors, experiments, and research. She didn't stop until her family achieved radiant health. Changing the family diet was the biggest step forward in the healing journey. More details can be found on her website Debug Your Health.
Sources and References
Loading Please Wait
You will also get free access to more than 100,000 Mercola.com health articles and
a totally FREE subscription to my Natural Health newsletter. You can unsubscribe
at any time and I guarantee the privacy of your email.